Saturday, June 17, 2006

Old Skool

Old skool for two reasons.

Firstly, this was done before I started using computers for colours. Back when I used to hand colour stuff (so long ago). Here I used colour markers over a photocopy of my inks and used white gouache for highlighting.

Secondly, the subject is old skool, with current video game characters (from the year this was done-1999) worshipping the shrine of original 'old skool' arcade game character, Pac-man. This accompanied an article in Playstation magazine documenting the Top 100 video games since Pong (Pac-Man being #1).

The original illo had a little more art to the left, but since this was scanned from the magazine, some of it got trimmed on the page joins. So rather than trying to badly join the two with a big gap missing, I just trimmed it down.

2 Comments:

Blogger Henry Elmo Bawden said...

Hello Chris,

Nostalgic stuff. I still like the effect of the old marker pieces. I would like to get a set but can't justify spending the two grand to do it. Thank you for you information and advice. I guess the main advice I keep getting from everybody is to just keep plugging away. "Don't quit". I do appreciate hearing new advice and information though. Can I add you as a link to my blog? Thanks again.

-Henry

6:57 AM  
Blogger Chris Wahl said...

Henry- Yeah I accumulated my markers over a period of many years. And yes, they are very expensive, especially considering how quikly the ink runs out and the tips wear down.

By all means keep at the drawing. Perserverence is very important. Your stuff looks great and it'll be only a matter of time before you get your foot in the door.

Yep, by all means add my link to your blog, and I'll return the favour.

lebitch- Yeah, Abe's great. Those Abe's Odyssey games were a blast.

I remember colouring him first with the markers when I started this pic, just in case all his many skin colours turned into a muddy mess. But he ended up looking pretty good.

11:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

All artwork © Chris Wahl 2019 unless otherwise stated. All characters are copyright to their respective owners