Monday, May 15, 2006

What's in a name...?

So, what do these people have in common?

Well...they all have the same name. To be more precise they all have MY name. All of these people are named Chris Wahl!

We have doctors, animators, principals, coaches, real estate agents...we all seem to have done pretty well for ourselves.


I've actually met the long haired fellow, back when I worked at Disney. He's a head animator on such Disney features as Beauty and the Beast and Aladdin (actually my Austrian relatives thought it was me on the film credits for a while, until my father set them straight, much to their disappointment). We had a brief introduction one day, back when the U.S. were scoping out Australia to do some straight-to-video feature films. You could tell my boss was wetting himself in anticipation, when he brought Mr. Wahl around to my desk-

Boss: Chris Wahl meet Chris Wahl!!!>snigger<
CW1: So...your name's Chris Wahl?
CW2: Yep.
CW1: Cool.
CW1: So how do you pronounce your surname?
CW2: Wahl.
CW1: Cool, me too. (awkward silence)
CW2: Well, see ya!

Somewhere across space and time, an alternate universe imploded from the sheer magnitude of our meeting.

12 Comments:

Blogger heri said...

lol, funny story Chris. how bid is each sketch? did you drew them on in one page?


-heri

10:17 AM  
Blogger Piotr said...

hilarious, i only found one other person with my name...

10:31 AM  
Blogger Chris Wahl said...

Heri- I did about 4 to a page, then compiled them all in Photoshop.

2:06 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

your character drawings are AWESOME!

2:32 PM  
Blogger Ian T. said...

Weird! Geez, I knew there was a veritable plague of Ian Thomases, but you'd reckon Chris Wahl would be more uncommon. One of my friends growing up was Martin Wahl though...

3:50 PM  
Blogger Chris Wahl said...

Yeah, it's quite unsettling.

4:17 PM  
Blogger Ivan D said...

I came across your blog through the Cheesecake/Beefcake thread you had going on at Pulp Faction. I'm also an Australian cartoonist (or atleast I'd like to be)- but I'm only just now introducing myself to the wonders of photoshop colouring.

Anyway, great drawings here! I love the distortion of proportion and overall cleaness of your work. Great caractures! I love them all, but the guy with the small face, centre, second row from the top made me smile the most.

9:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Chris wahl....I'm the "long haired fellow" I just came across your page. So am I CW1 or CW2??? cwahl@dreamworksanimation.com

11:04 AM  
Blogger Chris Wahl said...

Ivan- Good to hear from a fellow Aussie cartoonist. Thanks for your comments. Hope to see you posting some stuff over at Pulp Faction.

Chris Wahl- We meet again. I'm honoured you took the time from your busy schedule to stop by and leave a comment, Chris.

It's a shame we didn't get to chat more on that day. It's not every day you get to meet your Disney doppleganger. :)

Oh, and you're CW2 by the way. You weren't as abrupt as I made you out to be, but our encounter was brief.

2:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So our plan is working! Soon the Chris Wahl's will take over the world!.....So CW1 where did you find the other CW's? I know theres one in Tokyo from checking Amazon. I can say that CW1 is the talented one. We dont use pencils anymore. We punch in numbers on the keyboard to animate. And Don M your boss at the time is here. Damn too funny story tho.

7:58 AM  
Blogger Chris Wahl said...

'So CW1 where did you find the other CW's?'

Basically, just a Yahoo and Google search, and there were plenty more who didn't have photos. We're a plague I tell ya!

What are you guys currently working on, if it isn't too hush hush?

Also, how did you come across my blog, Chris?

Say Hi to Don for me (and thank him for not firing me, on the many occasions he caught me drawing comics instead of working while at Disney), I imagine there would be a number of old Oz Disney employees working there.

9:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm at Dreamworks. I worked on "Over the Hedge" which opens tommorrow. Curently I'm working on the "Bee" movie with Jerry Seinfeld. Was his idea, and hes acting director also. We just started on it tho. Nov 2007 is release date. Don is at Disney TV. I'll let him know. I really like your stuff. Damn good Chris Wahl!

10:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

All artwork © Chris Wahl 2019 unless otherwise stated. All characters are copyright to their respective owners